Saturday, January 5, 2013

Channeling My Inner 80-Year-Old

So many of the moms I am friends with have cool and amazing talents.  In fact, thinking about it, so do the grandmothers I know.  My mom is an unbelievable cook, seamstress and gardener.  All you need to know about my mother-in-law is that she was the general contractor on a house built for my husband's family when he was growing up--she's got it together.  And my dad's wife is a very talented decorator who put together Cate's dream bedroom.

I could never in a million years have done this.
I've got friends that are successful business women, fabulous chefs, accomplished interior designers, and craft mavens.

And then, there's me.  I try to dabble in all of the above (except general contracting and bedroom construction--that would be a sight) but I'm decidedly average.  I do, however, love to...well...ummm...needlepoint.  I am totally channeling my inner 80-year-old, but I think it's so fun.

Today, I took dragged the family to a local needlepoint shop to get a stocking pattern for Cate.  Sadly, the painted patterns are currently NIB--not in budget.  $300 for the pattern alone?!?!  OUCH.  So, I immediately downshifted and decided to stitch a belt for my husband with a wonderful pattern I call "three thick stripes."  I've made a few belts before, and a stocking for Rhett, so it should be a snap.

Sort of impressive, no?
The belt will look very similar to one I made for Rhett while he was in Charlottesville.  Instead of UVA colors, this time he has requested his college colors.

Here is the original belt in all its glory.  Note to self: try to avoid visible white canvas next time.  
I got my supplies and design all sketched out this afternoon...

Graph paper, canvas, new needles and thread?  They make my heart pitter patter.

...and started to stitch.

One thread down.  Hundreds to go.
I'll post a picture once it's done.  I'm sure all two of my readers are absolutely dying to see it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment