Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pinterest Fail

It rained here today and during nap time I did what I usually do on rainy days--I combed Pinterest for ideas on how to keep the girls entertained and non-screamy.

The first thing Cate and I tried in the afternoon was good, old-fashioned bubble blowing with water and dish soap.  Everyone has done this at one time or another and Cate thought it was great...
She's not drinking it, I swear.
...for five minutes.  Time to think of something new...

Once Charlotte was up from her nap, I ventured into unchartered territory.  Someone on Pinterest suggested a sensory bin.  Poor Charlotte rarely has any activity that is centered around her and appropriate for her age.  So, I figured I could try the bin with some oats I had on hand plus plastic toys and items from the girls kitchen.

I had visions of Charlotte pulling out little buried plastic treasures with delight with Cate cheering her on in the background.  After putting out a big storage tub top to catch any falling oats, I filled a large ziploc container with everything.  Fun, right?

Well...it was for the girls.  Charlotte was tentative but Cate immediately got in on the action.  Forget looking through oats for plastic things--Cate immediately unearthed some leftover plastic Easter eggs from I'm not sure where and was cheerfully filling them with oats and then hiding them around the house.
Excuse the nakedness--Cate was soaked from her bubble blowing adventures.  And Charlotte is generally opposed to pants.
Happily smushing oats into the flooring and rug.
It was a complete and total mess.  We will have oats in the cracks and crevices of our house until we move in a couple of years.  After ten minutes I shouted mayday and ended the oat spreading.  Thanks, Pinterest.

So then, I asked Cate what she wanted to do.  Her answer?  Go outside and splash in the puddles.


I should have asked her first.  Sometimes we just need to listen to our kids and not rely on the computer for ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment